The Future Of Leadership Development
As in all things, the future promises an array of new ways and new understanding in the practice of leadership and leadership development. These are critical role-changing contexts which will play an important part in leadership development.
Several trends will assume major roles in the days to come, changing perspectives and changing premises of old assumptions and general thinking.
First, leadership competencies (requirements) will still matter. However, they will change as the competitive environment changes.
A study indicates five critical forces will shape leadership in the future: 1) global competition, 2) information technology, 3) the need for rapid and flexible groups, 4) teams, and 5) differing employee needs.
Future leaders will have to be familiar and fluid in doing business on a global basis. Globalization, in effect, will require leaders to deal with more and more complex groups outside the realm of their organizations.
There will be more components involving international markets, global economic trends, and outside regions like the Asia Pacific rim, the Southern Hemisphere, etc. There will be an extensive use of the internet in the marketing of products and services.
Leadership development is one of the keys to keep leaders of a certain organization moving. This is one thing that helps them achieve goals that they have set for themselves and for the company.
However, not all leaders of companies realize this early on that is why they are having problems with other heads of the company. To be able to maximize the potentials of leaders in an organization, experts say that it is very important for employees—especially the heads of each department—to undergo training on leadership development.
Key to effective training
People who are in the field of leadership development would agree that leaders who want to be effective should realize how big self-motivation can create in their lives. Studies show that although there are countless advantages of self-motivation, it’s saddening to think that many leaders still don’t know how to adhere with it.
For those who would want to get started in effective leadership development training, here are some strategies that you can use:
– Tell your participants to think one step ahead. If they are able to do this, they now have the best foundations of an effective leader and it would be easier for them to take tougher and bigger problems or challenges along the way. By thinking one step ahead, they can also plan carefully which will create lesser room for mistakes.
– Encourage the leaders to know themselves. This would enable them to take note of their weaknesses and find ways on how to overcome, manage, and deal with them. The same works for their strengths because they might even find a way on how to improve them.
– Ask them to find time to share and help others. Being a leader directly involves other people for it to become effective. Leaders will know if they are effective if they can find ways to share their experiences as well as the ideas to others so they can influence them.
– Persuade them to continue learning. Effective leaders don’t stop learning new things because this enables them to acquire new skills that can help them achieve the goals that have been set by the company or their fellow leaders. During leadership development training, you can encourage your participants to learn different things so these will open up their world to other opportunities that they never thought that exist.
– Encourage them to have positive thinking. Leaders are usually burdened by negative thoughts and feelings. Because of these, they are easily swayed and would eventually commit mistakes. During leadership development training, you can help your participants to develop positive thinking by telling them that it is not healthy to dwell on things that are beyond their control.
These are just some of the strategies that you can use to make leadership development effective. Although majority of these are proven, the overall success will also depend on what type of clients and participants you have and how cooperative they are when it comes to the training proper.
Ravinder Tulsiani is the Author of the #1 BESTSELLER: “Your Leadership Edge”, an innovative step-by-step leadership training program that will help you develop a highly engaged and super-charged workforce… get your copy at http://www.yourleadershipedge.ca.